- About Us
Mika Meyers traces its roots back to 1930, when Clare Hall opened his law office in the Michigan National Bank Building. Mr. Hall was a long time friend of the founder of Grand Rapids Gas Light Company, and performed the legal work for the gas company. Mr. Hall was involved in the effort that brought natural gas to Grand Rapids. As his work grew, Mr. Hall hired new associates to assist him. In 1944, the Grand Rapids Gas Light Company was purchased by Michigan Consolidated Gas Company. MichCon retained the law firm for their legal work, something which continues through today. The energy work continued to grow, and more attorneys were hired. Ernie Mika was hired in 1950. Veryl Meyers was hired in 1951. Jim Beckett and John Jones were hired in 1963.
The firm's name changed a few times during all these additions, until finally in 1970 it became known as Mika Meyers. We count among our alumni: Judges: A. Dale Stoppels, Roman Snow, Wendell Miles, Donald Passenger and Kathleen Feeney. The firm's office locations reflect the history and growth of Grand Rapids. From its original office in the Michigan National Bank Building, we moved to the historic Waters Building, then to the historic Frey Building, then to the historic Union Bank Building (now known as Chase Bank Building), and most recently to our current location in the historic Berkey & Gay Building. The firm has evolved to 40 plus attorneys, and has expanded its practice areas to become a full service firm.